Before departure

Before departure

Study Permits and Students Visas

Depending on your country of origin and the type and length of study, you may require:

The type of documentation required depends on your country of origin, the program you are taking, and the length of your study:

  • Any study program of up to six months: no study permit is required
  • Programs longer than six months require a study permit

If you will be studying in a program of six months or less, but think you may continue your studies in another program after this short-term program is completed, you should apply for a study permit before you come to Canada. If you do not have a valid study permit and wish to continue your studies, you will have to leave Canada in order to apply for one.

A temporary resident visa may be required depending on your country of origin. Please see the list of countries that require a temporary resident visa as provided by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. More information on the process of applying for a study permit is available on Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s website. You can also contact us with any questions regarding studies and permits.

Visa Application

A thoroughly prepared application should include the following:
  • Completed and signed applications forms (Study Permit application form, additional family information, statutory declaration of common law relationship – if applicable, use of a representative – if applicable)
  • Fees for processing
  • 2 (3) passport-sized photos for each applicant
  • Passport valid for at least one year (and at least 6 months longer than expected period of study), and passports showing previous travel.
  • Bank statements for the past three months, or fixed deposit certificates. You should show that you have money for tuition fees and accommodation.
  • Letter of employment, if applicable, indicating your position, length of service, salary and exact dates of authorized vacation. If married, provide the same information for your spouse.
  • If someone else is paying for the costs of your studies, you must provide a letter (or preferably sworn declaration) from them indicating this.
  • Proof of financial support: For applicants, who are not self-supporting, provide the above financial documentation for those on whom you depend for support.
  • Proof of the studies you have completed which form the basis for your acceptance into a Canadian school.
  • Proof of acceptance (Letter of Acceptance) from an educational institution.
  • Proof that tuition fees have been paid. The Letter of Acceptance usually serves this purpose
  • Separate sheet explaining in detail your reasons for wishing to study in Canada. This should include the course(s) you will follow, your total planned length of stay, the total cost for all months/years of study, how you will pay those expenses, and what your plans are following the completion of your studies.
  • Minors (under 18 years old) travelling without a parent:
    • Letter (preferably sworn declaration) from the person who will take care of you in Canada
    • Birth certificate
    • Notarized declaration from your parents giving temporary custody to an adult in Canada, and a letter from a Canadian resident accepting custody
    • Authorization from parents indicating your destination and time of stay in Canada
  • Travel itinerary including hotel reservations, if applicable.
  • If you are not a citizen of the country in which you are applying, you must provide a proof of your present immigration status in the country of application.
  • In some cases, you may be asked to undergo immigration medical examinations and/or police clearances.